Thursday, June 30, 2011

An Open Letter to Mike Grell

I was fortunate enough to meet one of my idols a few weeks ago, the legendary Green Arrow artist/writer, Mike Grell.  I told him of an experience I had when I was in high school and I would like to share to you all my letter to Mike Grell because it has meant a lot to me and my father.  So without further adieu:



Dear Mr. Mike Grell,

My name is Philip McNulty and I recently attended the Philadelphia Comic Con on the weekend of June 17th, where, on the 19th, I came up to your booth on the showroom floor and told you a short story of mine.

Ever since I was a little kid, my favorite character has been Green Arrow.  My Dad first introduced me to the character when he gave me his reprint issues of the Denny O’Neil/Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow run.  Then in high school when I was going through my Dad’s comic book bin, I came upon your “Longbow Hunters” book and I asked my Dad, “What is this?”  He responded by saying, “It was the last Green Arrow story to ever matter.”  And you know what?  My Dad was right.  Seven years removed from when I first picked up “The Longbow Hunters,” I’ve collected every Green Arrow issue since and I still tell my Dad that he was right when he told me that Mike Grell’s “The Longbow Hunters” was the last Green Arrow story to ever matter.  Thank you for giving my father and I the greatest Green Arrow story and the last to ever matter.

I also wanted to share with you an illustration I recently did which was inspired by your comic series.  I hope you enjoy it.

With the utmost sincerity I thank you, Mike Grell, for some of the greatest art the industry has ever seen.

-Philip McNulty

No comments:

Post a Comment